I decided to do this quick assessment piece with my students this year to get a sense of what resources they have, (I asked the blogging question because we will be blogging this year again and wondered if anyone knew about them), and their general knowledge of surroundings. These are 4th grade students most are 9 years old or about to be. 18 of 24 are second language learners, 90% receive free lunch. Here are the questions and results. How would your students do?
1) Do you have internet at home right now? YES – 13 NO – 11
2) Do you have your own cell phone? YES – 4 NO – 20
3) Do you have your own email account? YES – 4 NO – 20
4) Do you blog? YES – 0 NO – 24
5) Do you have a Facebook, Bebo, or Myspace account?
YES – 4 NO – 20 (I’ll be questioning these 4 students.)
6) What city do you live in? Out of 24 students 9 had the correct answer, 5 said they didn’t know, 10 had incorrect answers.
7) What state do you live in? 12 correct answers (so half of class)
8/ What country do you live in? 3 correct answers
9) Where were you born? Have to find out if their answers are correct or not. 1 student said they didn’t know.
10) What is your address? 7 students knew their address out of 24.
11) Home phone number? 4 correct, 7 students don’t have a land line phone at home, 13 didn’t know.
12) Name as many other cities in Nevada as you can. Answers mostly all over, 1 student named 10 cities in Nevada.
Our social studies curriculum is learning about our state so the next time we take this evaluation there will be big changes.
Learning is messy!